Sunday, April 29, 2007

what's for dinner?

Everyone keeps asking me what I'm eating while I'm over here, so here's the run down on the local eats. I hope you're not disappointed. First of all, everything (and I mean everything, even the "western" food) comes with an egg either on it, or next to it. I don't know why, and no one here seems to be able to explain it to me. They look at me like I'm crazy. Also, pretty much every menu has an appetizer on it called "salted chicken feet". I haven't quite worked up the nerve to try it yet, but I am fascinated watching people around me chow down.

That said, my favorites so far are Nasi Lemak and Ayam Percik. Nasi Lemak is a coconut rice dish, (Nasi is Malay for Rice) usually served with anchovies, nuts, cucumbers, and sambal which is a chili paste (about 20 alarms, beware, I about burned my face off the first time I tired it). Also sometimes something called Agor, which is a pickled vegetable salad. It comes with a type of curried meat, usually chicken or prawn. It is served with each component meticulously separated into several tiny dishes, but every waiter I've encountered so far pretty much makes you combine all the ingredients in the bowl with the rice and mix it all up, so I'm not really sure what that's about. Anyway, it's very tasty. Seek it out. Ayam Percik is a wicked spicy barbecued chicken (or sometimes fish) made with tamarind and lemongrass. You can buy it at roadside stalls on sticks or wrapped in paper. For those familiar with Thai food, it's like chicken Satay on crack. I'm also obsessed with a dessert called Cendol- it's like a snocone made from coconut milk, and it has green rice noodles all inside it, and liquid brown sugar poured on top. The noodles look like inchworms. So gross, but so tasty. Ok, I think this might be my longest post so far. How sad, and how typical.

3 comments:

Adam said...

How's the cat taste?

Sarah said...

Hannah! I'm loving the blog...and i completely know how you feel about them mixing your food together!! I hated that in Korea, haha...i wanted to beat them away with chopsticks...

Hope you continue having a great time :-)

Stephen said...

do they have soft toilet paper for the day after the 20 alarm chili paste? I hope so.

missing you so.